Where we are today
- Access to land and resources represents one of the most critical issues faced by the Alexander First Nation.
- Our First Nation has continually faced a lack of process and inclusion before land and resource deals are struck that affect our traditional territories and our economies.
- In harvesting the resources from our lands it is important to consider the environment from a First Nations perspective.
- There is still no Consultation Policy or process developed by either the Federal or Provincial governments which is recognized or sanctioned by our Leadership.
Where we are today…
- In July of 2006 the Alexander First Nation formed the Alexander Industry Relations Corporation to deal specifically with the issues as derived from the above statements.
- It is our position that, appropriate and adequate consultation must occur, and that all concerns have to be addressed and mitigated before any approvals or expansions of existing and future projects will be supported within our traditional territory.
- The Alexander Industry Relations Corporation through the assistance of other First Nations and with the expertise of our own people, are now prepared technically to engage in meaningful consultation activities with the Federal and Provincial Governments, as well as with all affected Industry Proponents.
As keepers of the land we are responsible to ensure the protection and conservation of Mother Earth.
- The environment not economic gain must be at the forefront of all decisions and directions taken by our people.
- Through the development of these relationships with Industry and Government we are hoping to increase the opportunities for our members, our companies and our future generations while always protecting our traditional way of life.
- The only way this can happen is if we work together…