Kipohtakawkimik Elders Lodge
The Kipohtakawkimik Lodge is a 24 hour care facility for female and male elderly clientele who require 24 hour care, upon assessments. Other individuals and First Nation and aboriginal induviduals who require such care of respite care, can be accepted upon assessment...
The Lodge is located approximately 35 miles northwest of Edmonton, Alberta on the Alexander First Nation Reserve. This location is easily accessible for clinics, hospitals, dental, optical, pharmacies, shopping and other various facilities which are located in Morinville, St Albert, Edmonton, Westlock, Spruce Grove, Onoway and Stony Plain.
It is our belief, as people of the Alexander First Nation, that human spirituality is expressed and developed through the practice of life preserving and life enhancing values. These holistic values include: Honoring the Creator, Honesty, Love, Wisdom, Courage, Respect, Understanding, Shareing, Caring, and Determination.
Our Elders say "these values and virtues are the foundation in the nature of existance as human beings and the means of preserving the enhancements of individuals as well as communities".
Kipohtakawkimik believes that the Elders are the living models of our community values and life, thus preserving the Cree culture and spiritual needs of this community.
Our concern and commitments toward preserving our culture and our values is strengthened by taking care of our Elders. We ask for the Creator's continual blessing in these endeavors.
The Kipohtakawkimik Elders Lodge is operated under the umbrella of Alexander Health Services through the Health Director, and with the support of the Kipohtakawkimik Board and Cheif and Council.
The Kipohtakawkimik Lodge has been operating sine 1985.
Our Program Offers:
- 24 hour care provided by trained staff (LPN & HCA)
- Cree & English speaking staff
- A Registered Home Care Nurse supervises the lodge resident care
- Physician visits approximately twice per month
- Physiotherapists visits once per week
- An Occupational Therapist visits the Lodge weekly
- Rehab. Assistant leads an exercise program weekly
- Outings are arranged by the Rehab. Assist.. Outings include: Comm. Events, Pow-Wows, roundances, WEM, Senior's events, Fort Edmonton Park, Swimming, Picnics at the lakeside on Sandy Lake
- Spiritual room in Lodge for Sunday visits and services by a Priest or for pipe ceremonies
- Spiritual & recreational activities
- Meidi-Van or Handi-Bus is available for clients' medical appointments and outings: Edmonton, Westlock, Spruce Grove, Onoway and Stony Plain
Lodge Monthly Fees:
- Each Resident is responsible for a monthly rental payment which includes: room, bed, meals, laundry, etc. and as per "Our Program offers" list.
- An advance payment of the monthly amount is required by the 1st of each month.
- Respite care can also be provided in the lodge at a daily cost.
How to Apply?
For more information please contact the
Alexander Health Services,
Home Care Nurse:
Beth Holmes @ 780 939-4797,
Or Lodge Resident Care Supervisor:
Bonnylee @ 780 939-5573